Friday, January 28, 2011

WWH_03



In "walking with HIM" I would like to share with you ways that I and others have shared their faith with their family and or friends...in the everyday, special occasions, whenever, where ever....I ultimately want to encourage and inspire you to walk with HIM...Therefore, cheer each other and encourage one another in the faith...1 Thessalonians 5:11

Sorry guys I have been slack this week on the blogging side of things but have found a willing helper...Lou...for this weeks Walking with Him feature post. This girl is one of my special peeps and man does she know her bible....I can only aspire to know mine as well...one day I will...enjoy peoples...



*************************************************************************************


Traditions

As a child, I spent a lot of time with my grandmother & my fondest memories are going to Church with her. My Grandmother had a lot of traditions surrounding Church so I’m really excited to be able to reflect & share them with you.



If I could use three words to describe my Grandmother, they would be strict, compassionate & loving. The matter’s she was most strict on was always in regards to Church & Family-time. There was no distinction between Church & Family time & what I remember most is being together.

As I lived so far from my Grandmother most of my holidays were spent with her as I grew up our traditions never changed, I guess that’s the wonderful thing about traditions is that as you grow up they are passed down to you without you even realising.

On Sabbath days, we always went to Church, then, at lunch, spent it with family or out in the community & then in the afternoons, if the weather allowed we always went walking along the beach. I always collected shells, but it was what we did. Sometimes it would be just my grandmother and I and sometimes it would be with everyone. Regardless, it was a time that she spent talking to us about Gods love & speaking over our lives. Back at home before Sabbath Closed, we always had visitors and we sat in the lounge and listened to stories on ‘old times’.

When I could start to read and write, I would always sit in my grandmothers room on her bed & help her with her bible study pamphlet. She did it everyday & I loved being able to look up bible texts & write down answers for her, it was our time together & I LOVED it!!

If I rattle off what I remember most it would be, the beach, studying together, always with family, being quiet in Church, not playing in church, walking along the beach, no sports on weekends & praying at every meal.
How I thank my grandmother now, the things she did with us, as children were her traditions that she has now passed onto us.

When I think back and reflect on how strict she was in regards to Church & Sabbath, I realise now with a daughter of my own, that she was never punishing us. She was preparing me with traditions, morals & laying a Godly foundation in our lives for the time, that she would no longer be with us.

Those traditions have now become my own, along my journey there have been many struggles but I believe that my Grandmother has given me a great fighting spirit.

So I’d like to share a new tradition and hopefully you will try it with your family & friends...
After Church & the day is almost over & if you are with family or friends ask them “What did you enjoy most about your day?”. They may answer what the sermon was in regards to, reflect on their life, or spending time with friends. Whatever the answer is, by asking this simple question, you will know it & can start a family tradition of your own.


*************************************************************************************

Thanks Lou...shall do this tomorrow...think I know why you know your bible so well...thanks to your grandmother...wish I could have met her....xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment